Thursday, June 24, 2010

We found a farm!

After several months of half-assed searching and deliberating, we finally decided on a farm to work on once we get out west. Come mid July we will be working at Little Rascals farm in Hansville, WA, a small raw organic dairy farm, with goats, sheep, chickens (for eggs), a vegetable garden, medicinal herbs & mushrooms. We will be learning all kinds of cool stuff like cheese making, raising poultry, utilizing worm bins, working with livestock guardians, animal husbandry, making natural soap, shearing sheep/goats/rabbits, fiber processing, weaving/knitting, etc. We are excited!!!

Now I know you are thinking 'you two were both stinky vegans for years and years, why a dairy farm?'
Well if you ask me, if you are going to eat something you should be able to get it to your plate yourself (omnivores should be able to look at and kill the animals they eat, etc.). Since I started eating cheese again, I wanted to learn about it, see if I was ethically okay w/ dairy production on this kind of farm (I still have the same ethical issues with the factory farms where most places in this country get their milk & cheese from).
Also, I wanted too see what its like to be a part of the solution to, and not just the boycott of, our predominant method of food production and the ethical, ecological, & economic mess it has created. If we want to move back towards sustainable small scale community based food production, we will need healthy and ecologically sound alternatives to factory farm eggs & dairy.
So this is why I choose to work on a dairy farm. Well, that and the fact that goats are totally cute.

Anyways, check out their website if you are so inclined:
http://www.littlerascalsfarm.com/

4 comments:

  1. Well I know how to shear a sheep and trim it's hooves. When you learn to do that we can talk about how cool we all are. Wish I knew how to make cheese though. I like cheese. It gives me wild dreams where I go on journeys out west to milk goats and make cheese with my dog and my best friend. I like those kids of cheese dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soilley was my verification to post my post. Ha! You are soilley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billies & nannies as well as bunnies (hippiehair angora bunnies at that!) Plus, as your Greek ship's engineer cousins once told pals back in the Med from their U.K. Wildcat pad in Lexington, KY - ALL THE CHEESE ANYBODY CAN WANT - IN DIFFERENT COLORS TOO!!! HOPA !!!
    Sounds like hard work & great fun! Be careful getting there so you can do your part.
    Pet Willow the wonder hiker & give Belinda Pearl a hug too.
    Yer pa

    ReplyDelete